Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Phew!

These past few weeks have been crazy busy to put it mildly! I don't know if I can remember a time when I was so exhausted... well I probably could, I'm just too tired to think that hard right now- lol!

Blogging has definitely taken a back seat these days, but I am learning to let that go. I have so many things I want to share about and discuss even, but it seems that in this season of life right now it is much more difficult to have a few minutes of free time to do those things than it once was. I am focusing on what the Lord is asking of me each day and while it has been good, it has been hard too. If you have emailed me or messaged me- I am so sorry- I am trying to get back to you soon!
Summer
Since I last posted, we finished up our school year and am already planning and organizing our next year's curriculum, finished spring soccer, attended many parties and fun events-yay!, taken Elliana for a few dr's appts, planning and discussing our Ethiopia trip with others, starting a fundraiser for the same trip, preparing for the mission focus for our VBS, attempting to get back into photography, and running around all week at VBS on very few hours of sleep! Add a very clingy toddler to the mix and you might guess how well it's going now!
Summer
It has been a full but very blessed June around here. Right before we finished school, we made a list of things we'd all like to do this summer. Summer is my very favorite time, and I think that you especially appreciate it even more when you homeschool. Just a time for us to hang out and make plans without the added stress of teaching them half the day... it is a beautiful thing! Our list of things we'd like to do this summer is a combination of day trips, projects to get done, and people's houses that have pools that we can invite ourselves over to- lol! Unfortunately our June has been SO busy that we haven't really even done one thing on that list! I take that back- we have bbq'd more, swam at Grandma's house, and taken a few bike rides- so that is fun! I am looking forward to this week when most of the craziness has settled down and we can do a few things before Randy and the boys leave on their trip. (more on that later.)

As much as I am so tired from last week, I wouldn't trade my job at vacation bible school for anything. We have an AMAZING children's ministries director who actually writes and plans the entire vacation bible school for our church every year. Yes, everything from the theme, skits, characters, crafts, etc etc etc... she comes up with a plan for all of it! I do not know how she does it except that it is God working through her and giving her those special gifts. It is always so well done with the truth of God's word at the very core of it all.
Summer
Summer
And this year there were over 150 leaders to help implement all of it! But guess what? I seriously get the absolute BEST job of the entire VBS... in my opinion that is! I get to plan and lead the mission focus for the week and it is always such an amazing blessing to be a part of. God is always right in the middle of it all and I love that He just brings it all together in such a beautiful way. And this year was no exception.
Summer
Summer
Summer
This year we chose to partner with one of my favorite organizations Lifesong for Orphans to raise funds for a school in Ziway, Ethiopia.
Summer
Each day I would give the kids a scenario of what life is like in Ethiopia, show pictures on the screen and then introduce our prayer points for the day. They got cards to take home and show their parents and learned ways that they could be in prayer for the children in Ziway. Thursday night we showed the Ethiopia video I posted a few months ago and it touched many who were there. The kids really get into these mission projects and I am constantly amazed at how HUGE their hearts are for the orphans and less fortunate children. These young ones do SO much more in one week to serve the Lord than some adults do in a year!
Summer
They did everything from lemonade and kool-aid stands, to making bracelets, passing out baby bottles to fill up, painting rocks, baking cookies, and even selling frogs!
Summer
There were around 250 children last week bringing in their pennies, nickels and dimes to make a difference for the Kingdom of God- having complete faith that the Lord would provide the funds. And can you imagine being there on Friday morning- hearing all of their excited voices and seeing their little faces light up when they heard the total amount brought in... $4,700 for the children in Ethiopia!!!  This was enough to build an entire playground structure ($3,500- our first goal) as well as an additional $1,200 for the children's school supplies such as desks, uniforms, books, etc. Our amazing God did that! These children truly have missionary hearts and I seriously cannot wait to see how the Lord will continue to use them throughout their young lives.
Summer



Summer

2 comments:

Kim said...

Elliana looks SO big and beautiful as ever in these pictures!! She is really growing fast!!

Noel said...

Candice,

I'm currently reading a book that you HAVE to read. It is a book that details how to effectively help those in poverty. The authors have extensive education in and experience working with and running programs that reach the poorest of people. They are Christians who encompass all they do with effective methods of building relationships and empowering those who need it most. You really should read it. It goes very well with your heart for missions and I have found it to be the perfect comlimpliment to that one series by David Platt. Really, you, of all people, should order it and read it. The title is When Helping Hurts by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkart. I wrote a review on my blog. Really, read it. Its perfect for you and your family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...